WP4: Strong ground motion modeling
Workpackage 4 is coordinated by F. Cotton (LGIT). WP 4 has the following objectives:
- Derive and characterize ground shaking in Europe for specified rock-conditions, with the corresponding calibrations for application to different soil classes in Europe.
- Coordinate the ground-motion specifications with the EC8 requirements.
- Build a European-wide consensus on the understanding of expected strong ground motions.
Workpackage 4 is structured in seven tasks:
- Task 4.1: Extended ground-motion database
- Task 4.2: Rock model for peak ground motion and spectral values
- Task 4.3: Site amplification factores
- Task 4.4: Europe-wide proxies to site conditions
- Task 4.5: Earthquake scenario tools
- Task 4.6: Alternative ground motion parameters
- Task 4.7: Site effects in Alpine valleys
The selection procedure of GMPE's can be depicted as follows:
(from Delavaud et al, 2011, in preparation for Journal of Seismology)
Scherbaum, F., E. Delavaud, and C. Riggelsen (2009). Model Selection in Seismic Hazard Analysis: an Information-Theoretic Perspective. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 99, 3234–3247, DOI: 10.1785/0120080347
Cotton, F., F. Scherbaum, J. J. Bommer, and H. Bungum (2006). Criteria for selecting and adjusting ground-motion models for specific target regions: Application to Central Europe and rock sites. J. Seism. 10, 137–156, DOI: 10.1007/s10950-005-9006-7
Bommer, J. J., J. Douglas, F. Scherbaum, F. Cotton, H. Bungum, and D. Fa ̈h (2010). On the Selection of Ground-Motion Prediction Equations for Seismic Hazard Analysis. Seism. Res. Lett. 81, 783-793, DOI: 10.1785/gssrl.81.5.783.