WP3: Earthquake sources and activity rates
Workpackage 3 coordinated by G. Valensise (INGV). The WP has the following objectives:
- Supply harmoized earthquake input data at European level for the SHARE project, and specifically a new homogeneous earthquake catalog.
- Construct a European model of seismic source zones (SSZ) for input to the seismic hazard computations.
- Integrate the knowledge gained in specific programs and national efforts in a wider, coordinated European context.
- Use geological and geodetic evidence in a homgeneous framework to provide additional constraints for constructing seismic source zones and for assessing earthquake activity rates.
- Build a European-wide consensus and ownership of the input data and modeling approaches, through the direct participation of national and thematic experts in the elicitation of the required knowledge and the construction of the model.
The Workpackage is structured into six tasks:
- Task 3.1: European earthquake database
- Task 3.2: European database of active faults and seismogenic sources
- Task 3.3: European crustal strain rates
- Task 3.4: Seismic Source Zones
- Task 3.5: Homogeneous determination of maximum magnitude
- Task 3.6: Earthquake activity rates